House Of Earth And Blood - Sarah J. Maas.

House of Earth and Blood - Crescent City.
Author: Sarah J. Maas.
Pages: 803 pages, Paperback.
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, NA, Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Adult, Fae, Paranormal, Magic, Angels.
Published: March 3, 2020 by Bloomsbury Publishing. 
Goodreads Rating: ★★★★☆ 4.47.

Hello, my fellow readers. Today I am going to talk about the book 'House of Earth and Blood' by Sarah J. Maas. The first book of her new book series 'Crescent city'. This series will be a seven-book long series. (according to Goodreads).

I must admit. I had this book laying on my TBR pile for a while now, but I started reading it when my whole bookstagram exploded with this book trending. So I had to start this book as fast as I could (because I was curious about why this book would be soo good). When I started this book, I didn't understand a thing... It was so complicated and there were so many characters/names/places dropped, that I almost needed to write them down, but I didn't. Thinking "It will make sense after a while" and it did. I could follow (eventually). HOEAB contains multiple POVs. 

But let's be honest.. I fucking loved this book. There were A LOT of characters. And it really seemed complicated at the beginning. BUT eventually, it all made sense, and the characters were amazingly build and written in this story. You read how they grief and how they grew as characters (with their griefs) and it's such beautifully written. I really admire Bryce for being the way she is. Everybody thinks she just parties, drinks and does nothing good in her life. But the thing is, she is just being herself even when the world thinks she's a bitch. She isn't and she doesn't really bother anymore what the world thinks about her (because no matter what, people think what they want to think) and that is so beautiful and admirable (I wish I could do that). 
I had a love-hate relationship with Danika. And to be honest... I let my guards down and I listened to the rumors of other characters. How they described Danika as a bad person.. even when Bryce knew all along that she wasn't bad and she knew Danika the best... Damn, this reminds me of life and how fast we judge on opinions of other humans.
Hunt, my dear Hunt. You are amazing, you scared me multiple times, but I still love you. 
Anyway, there are so many more characters that I really enjoyed/loved in this book. It amazes me how good Sarah writes characters, and how easily she makes you love them as a character. 

The world-building was big and easy (eventually) to follow. I liked how Sarah used every detail in this world-building to complete this story. Without this world-building, the story wouldn't be this great. The beginning was complicated because Sarah just threw a lot of places, but the map helped a lot. And BTW, look how stunning the map is?!



I am completely stunned by how Sarah's stories keep evolving with build-ups and details. Even when it seems complicated in the beginning, it all makes sense and eventually it feels really easy to read (as I said, eventually! the beginning of HOEAB can be a little struggle). There are big and mind-blowing plot twists. However, they are more near the ending of the book then during it. This book is a big one, so it takes a little time to finally come to these parts. But they are so worth it. It was thrilling to read these parts and all the long parts and dialogues mattered at the ending. Because they were a great build-up to the ending. I really loved this book. However, I think that I don't love it as much as I love ACOTAR-series. But this was book one, and I have the second book  (House of Sky and Breath) laying on my shelf. So I am damn curious about this next story of the Crescent city series. And I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. 

Synopsis: 
Bound by blood.
Tempted by desire.
Unleashed by destiny.

Bryce Quinlan had a perfect life. Working hard all day and partying all night. Until a demon murdered her closest friends, leaving her bereft, wounded, and alone. When the accused is behind bars but the crimes start again, Bryce finds herself at the heart of the investigation. She'll do whatever it takes to avenge their deaths.

Hunt Althalar is a notorious Fallen angel, now enslaved to the Archangels he once attempted to overthrow. His brutal skills and incredible strength have been set to one purpose, to assassinate his boss's enemies, no questions asked. But with a demon wreaking havoc in the city, he's offered an irresistible deal: help Bryce find the murderer, and his freedom will be within reach.

As Bryce and Hunt dig deep into Crescent City's underbelly, they discover a dark power that threatens everything and everyone they hold dear, and they find, in each other, a blazing passion. One that could set them both free, if they'd only let it.


Love, ❤
DarkBlue

Comments

Popular Posts