King Of Scars - Leigh Bardugo.

King Of Scars.
Author: Leigh Bardugo.
Pages: 511 pages, Paperback.
Genre: Fantasy, YA, Fiction, High Fantasy, Magic, Romance.
Published: January 29, 2019 by Hodder And Stoughton.
Goodreads Rating: ★★★★☆ 4.18

Hello my fellow readers. It's been a while and the last couple of weeks were crazy busy. However, I finally finished the book "King Of Scars" by Leigh Bardugo. The first book in the King Of Scars duology. A duology from the Grisha series. 

This book has so many POV's that the start of reading this book was a little bit harder to get into. However, I'm invested in the whole series Leigh Bardugo wrote about the Grisha. So I had to read this. Then again, the story was a bit too long... It could be written in 300 pages, but the book contains more than 500 pages. 

The characters are known from the previous series. I thought this book would be about Nikolai only, but it isn't. I was a bit confused when the book started with an unknown character. But the longer I think about it, the more I like the beginning of this book. This story has great characters POV's for telling the story. I have a completely different view of Zoya, Nina is still a great woman, and Isaak is a great man. Yet, completely I think I would enjoy the book more if it was written in Nikolai's POV only. 

The world-building was great as usual. You get a good idea/fantasy of what the world would look like. You get sucked into the details of the world. The darkness of buildings and places. 




I enjoyed reading this, but it took me a long time to finish reading it. I like the characters Leigh chose to write the POV's about. Maybe some would be better in another book. Overall I enjoyed the characters. there were certain parts that seemed useless to me and the book was to big for the story in it. It felt a bit "milked out" (as we say it in the Dutch language) to get to the point of the cliffhanger. Maybe it's my fault, but I wasn't too excited about the ending. I predicted the ending to myself. But as I said, I'm too invested in this whole series, so I have to finish it all. And I am curious, but not too curious to buy the second book immediately. It was a fun book to read. 

Synopsis:
Face your demons... Or feed them.

The people of Ravka don't know what Nikolai Lantsov endured in their bloody civil war and he intends to keep it that way. Yet each day a dark magic in him grows stronger, threatening to destroy all he has built.

Zoya Nazyalensky has devoted her life to rebuilding the Grisha army. Despite their magical gifts, Zoya knows the Grisha cannot survive without Ravka as a place of sanctuary and she will stop at nothing to help Nikolai secure the throne.

Far north, Nina Zenik wages her own kind of war against the people who could see the Grisha destroyed. Burdened by grief and a terrifying power, Nina must face her past to have any hope of defeating the dangers that await her.

Ravka's king. Ravka's general. Ravka's spy. They will risk everything to save a broken nation. But some secrets aren't meant to stay buried, and some wounds aren't meant to heal.

Comments

Popular Posts