Neon Gods - Katee Robert.

Neon Gods.
Author: Katee Robert.
Pages: 386 pages, Ebook Kindle. 
Genre: Romance, Fantasy, Retelling, Adult, Fiction, Greek Mythology, Contemporary, Erotica. 
Published: June 1, 2021. By Sourcebooks Casablanca. 
Goodreads Rating: ★★★☆☆ 3.74. 

Hii, my fellow readers. This week's book is 'Neon God' by Katee Robert. The first book of the Dark Olympus series. Neon God is a modern retelling of Hades and Persephone that's as sinful as it is sweet. 

The thought of dark romance and Greek Gods together sounded so good. However, I had more hopes for this book when I started it. The only retelling in this book, are the names of the Gods... And that's pretty much it. I wish there was more Greek mythology involved in this story.

Neon Gods has two POV's. From Persephone and Hades. 
It starts with Persephone. To be honest, I didn't like her character in this book... She really came over desperate and she was a little bit annoying. But, when the ending of this book came, I started to like her. 
Hades seems to be domineering, but that ends quickly. It repeats multiple times that he is dominating. Yet, I don't find him that domineering, because he does everything for Persephone when she smiles and he ends up buying puppies for her...?

The world-building is good and really interesting. It is written well and you get a good idea of what it all looks like. The underworld seems fun to live in though.  

I know this book is an erotica book, but the story doesn't fit with the romance and the Greek Mythology. Where was the lead that Zeus was going to propose to Persephone to marry him? What was the lead, that Persephone was going to "use" Hades for sex? It went all so fast and unexpected. This book is 2/3 erotica and 1/3 "story". I wish there was more story building in this book because a lot of parts didn't connect with each other. I wish there was a good retelling of Hades and Persephone, I wish this story was better written... The smut though was really good and exciting. So... if you are only in for the smut, then this is a good book for you. If you enjoy good smut, but with a great storyline... You could try and read this? I really hoped I liked it better. But, I only finished it because of the smut. Am I going to read the other books in this series? I don't know... If I start a series, I'm normally really involved in it and I want to finish it. However, I do consider reading the other books, but not direct. 

Synopsis: 
He was supposed to be a myth.
But from the moment I crossed the River Styx and fell under his dark spell... He was, quite simply, mine.

Society darling Persephone Dimitriou plans to flee the ultra-modern city of Olympus and start over far from the backstabbing politics of the Thirteen Houses. But all that's ripped away when her mother ambushes her with an engagement to Zeus, the dangerous power behind their glittering city's dark facade.

With no options left, Persephone flees to the forbidden undercity and makes a devil's bargain with a man she once believed a myth... a man who awakens her to a world she never knew existed. 

Hades has spent his life in the shadows, and he has no intention of stepping into the light. But when he finds that Persephone can offer a little slice of the revenge he's spent years craving, it's all the excuse he needs to help her, for a price. Yet every breathless night spent tangled together has given Hades a taste for Persephone, and he'll go to war with Olympus itself to keep her close...

Love, ❤
DarkBlue

Comments

Popular Posts