What Lies Beyond The Veil - Harper L. Woods.

What Lies Beyond The Veil.
Author: Harper L. Woods.
Pages: 432 pages, Paperback.
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Fae, Adult, Magic, Paranormal, Dark, NA, Fiction.
Published: February 2022, by Hodder & Stoughton.
Goodreads Rating: ★★★☆☆ 3.70.

Hii, my fellow readers. This week's book is 'What Lies Beyond The Veil' by Harper L. Woods. The first book in the 'Of Flesh And Bone' series. If you enjoy reading Acotar and FBAA. Then I recommend this book to you. This book contains some trigger warnings: Religious purity culture, Verbal and physical abuse, References to grooming behavior & assault of a minor by an authority figure, Suicidal thoughts & ideation, Graphic violence, and Graphic sexual content.

This book started off great. I was invested in the story because it was well-written and really thrilling and exciting to read. Until the story continued and the characters needed to run... The part that they run is basically the whole story. It didn't come to an end, and it felt like the author was filling her story with nothing special, but some little bit of smut. 

Our heroine is Estrella, I felt really connected to her character in the beginning. She was such a badass and strong character. Until her character growth went to nothing but waste. The love interest is Caelum, and to be honest... He was not it for me... ( Caelum reminded me of Tamlin) He respects the female MC but on the other side, he pushes her in ways I felt irritated about. 
There are other characters that I really like to discover more about their history: Loran and Brenn. What drove them to do the things they did? I'm still curious.

The world-building is okay. Harper started off good, but then her focus went to the romance and smut, which made the rest of the story weak/blend... Which is unfortunate. 


When I started this book, I thought 'Yes, this book is going to be amazing'. Sadly, my thoughts changed and the book wasn't amazing. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. It's an okay book and I am curious about the sequel. But the author changed her priorities during the book and made it into a smut book with little context. When our characters are on the run, I predicted how the book would end. There were a lot of hints that made the cliffhanger not too special. The manly MC was praised too high which gives it all away. It could have been such an amazing story, but the story went downhill when they went on the run... Which is very unfortunate. However, I'm still curious to continue this series.

Synopsis:
Once, we'd worshipped them as Gods.
For nearly 400 years, the Veil has protected us from the Fae of Alfheimr. In their absence, our lives have shifted from decadence and sin to survival and virtue under the guidance of the New Gods. I've spent my entire life tending to the gardens next to the boundary between our worlds, drawn to the shimmering magic like a moth to the flame.

Then, we died on their swords.
All of that changes the day the Veil shatters, unleashing the fae upon our world once again. The magic of faerie marks those of us they mean to take, but the Mist Guard protecting Nothrek will kill us all before they let the fae have us. There's no choice but to flee everything I've ever known, not of I want to live to see my twenty-first birthday as a free woman.

Now, they'll claim what's theirs.
But before they capture me, Caelum saves me from the Wild Hunt. Fae-marked and on the run, he is able to fight back in ways I only dream of. From tentative alliance to all-consuming passion, our bond strengthens as the fae close in and evil lurks ever nearer. With my life on the line, he is everything I shouldn't dare to want and a distraction I can't afford. I can't seem to stay away, not even with something greater on the line.

My heart.


Love, ❤
DarkBlue.

Comments

Popular Posts