Gild - Raven Kennedy.

Gild.
Author: Raven Kennedy.
Pages: 386 pages, Paperback.
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Fae, Retellings, NA, Adult, Fiction, Magic, Mythology.
Published: December 2020 by Raven Kennedy. In 2022 by Penguin Books.
Goodreads Rating: ★★★☆☆ 3.66

Hello, my fellow readers. This week's book is 'Gild' by Raven Kennedy. The first book of 'The Plated Prisoner' series. This compelling adult fantasy series is as addictive as it is unexpected. With romance, intrigue, and danger, the gilded world of Orea will grip you from the very first page. Please note: This book contains explicit content and darker elements, including mature language, Stockholm Syndrome, violence, and rape. It is not intended for anyone under 18 years of age. 

This book sucked me right into the story, it kept me reading when I needed to sleep. because it was hard to put it down. 

Auren is our MC. Auren is referred to as King Midas's favored or gilded pet because she is covered in gold (she is completely gold). She is locked in this gilded cage by King Midas because he promised to keep her 'safe and she believes that he is her savior. But King Midas actually reminds me of someone who will keep her because she is worth a lot. I didn't like Midas from the first page. Auren has no friends and all the other saddles don't like Auren because she is the king's favor. But they eventually learn who Auren really is and Auren learns more and more about king Midas, her 'great' savior. 

The world is big, it contains six (maybe seven) kingdoms. The world-building is big and well-described. You get a map, so if you can't follow. You can always look at the map, but it isn't necessary. 

This book starts right away. So, you are immediately sucked into the story. It is a completely different fantasy book from what I'm used to and I'm enjoying it. Auren, the main character is a special person, while the others are "normal" humans, which triggers me to find out why she is different. There are kingdoms, travels on horses, and pirates. This may sound like a lot, but it all fits together. I enjoyed this book, and I am curious about the sequels. But mostly, I am curious about Raven's other books (and her writing) and about Auren. Overall, I'm super excited about this series, and I can't wait to discover it further. 

Synopsis:
The fae abandoned this world for us. And the ones with power rule.

Gold.

Gold floors, gold walls, gold furniture, gold clothes. In Highbell, in the castle built into the frozen mountains, everything is made of gold.

Even me.

King Midas rescued me. Dug me out of the slums and placed me on a pedestal. I'm called his precious. His favored. I'm the woman he Gold-Touched to show everyone that I belong to him. To show how powerful he is. He gave me protection, and I gave him my heart. And even though I don't leave the confines of the palace. I'm safe.

Until war comes to the kingdom and a deal is struck.

Suddenly, my trust is broken. My love is challenged. And I realize that everything I thought I knew about Midas might be wrong. Because these bars I'm kept in, no matter how gilded, are still just a cage. But the monsters on the other side might make me wish Id' never left.

Love, ❤
DarkBlue.

Comments

Popular Posts